Lathe Operator – Temp to Hire- 2nd Shift
A Brief Summary of This Position
Responsible for the cutting of tubing, scrap, and randoms from the mills to customer requirements or to stock lengths utilizing the five saws in the department. The department is also responsible for operating the hydro test stand as needed. The work is fast paced and repetitious based on the machine operated.
- Bring in tubing bundles using side-loader and unload with crane or roll from racks.
- Cut tubing utilizing one of two saws, out of a total of five, ensuring finished tubing conforms to production specifications, and that equipment maintains proper working order, such as blade sharpness, cutting speed, pressure, etc.
- Debar cut ends with die grinder using proper protective equipment and bundle to correct size and to customer requirements.
- Maintain clean work area by placing bundles in designated areas, dumping scrap hopper in proper trailer, cleaning equipment, floor and desk, and recovering equipment if needed.
- Maintain required product documentation by matching bundle tags, count, order number with correct production card, record production work completed on work orders, and record equipment information such as breakdowns, blade changes, tolerances, etc.
- This position reports into Production Supervisor and has no direct reports.
Important Details about the Role
This position involves operating band saws and rotating-head lathe machines to cut tubing according to specifications and customer requirements. The Lathe Operator is also responsible for using a die grinder to safely deburr cut ends. It is also important to accurately maintain required documentation with required information including counts, production reporting, work orders, equipment information, and records of any breakdowns, blade changes, and other information. The Lathe Operator is also expected to maintain a clean work area and place finished bundles in the proper designated area.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- One (1) year relevant experience with mechanized production equipment.
- Mathematical skills – addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Skill in keeping accurate records, inventory, inspecting finished product for quality, and a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to read a tape measure, micrometers, and square to ensure proper tube length, gauge, & square.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to co-workers, supervisors, and employees from other departments within the division.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, production cards, simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and meet production deadlines.
- Ability to acquire a Valmont forklift operator’s certification.
- Ability to operate cranes and take required training course.
- Acceptable performance and attendance history.
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications
- High awareness for safety at all times
- Ability to work extended hours including nights and weekends when necessary
- One year of previous experience in a manufacturing or fabrication environment
- Ability to work in a high volume, fast paced environment
- Ability to pay attention to detail and follow work instructions
- Ability to communicate and interact with coworkers in a positive manner
- Ability to identify and communicate maintenance or product problems to departmental
- Supervisory experience
- Passion and integrity who has the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
- Three (3) years machining experience
Job Order 999:10
Applications for these positions are being accepted at Premier Staffing.